Pacing and SBAC
Before Spring Break, we finished Unit 6 and our first look at fractions. With SBAC testing around the corner, we will try to get through as much of Unit 7 (and Unit 5, which we skipped) as we can before we begin testing mid-April. Wish us luck!
Unit 7, Fractions and Decimals
As we are in the middle of an English unit in Literacy, we will continue our work in Math in Spanish for the time being. Unit 7 begins right after Spring Break, April 3rd!
There are two main focuses for this unit, comparing fractions and then our first look at decimals.
1. Comparing Fractions:
A reminder about math homework
As we have more resources for the 2018 curriculum (the English version) than our older Spanish curriculum (it’s being updated next year!), I will not be able to provide different homework for each student while we are in Spanish, although I will differentiate when I can. If a student is struggling with either the difficulty or the amount of math homework, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
I know that the “new math” today can seem confusing and different from what you (and I) learned years ago. To help you navigate this new world with your student, here is a list of the important terms we will be using over the course of Unit 7:
- Common denominator – A common multiple of two or more denominators. (denominador común)
- Decimal number – A representation of a number using the numerals 0 to 9, in which each digit has a value 10 times the digit to its right. A dot or decimal point separates the whole number part of the number on the left from the fractional part on the right. (número decimal)
- Denominator – The number below the bar in a fraction. It shows the total number of equal parts in the fraction. (denominador)
- Equivalent fractions – Two or more fractions that represent the same number. (fracciones equivalentes)
- Fraction – A number that is the sum of unit fractions, each an equal part of a set or part of a whole. (fracción)
- Hundredth – A unit fraction representing one of one hundred parts, written as 0.01 or 1/100. (centésimo)
- Line plot – A diagram that shows the frequency of data on a number line. Also called a dot plot. (diagrama de puntos)
- Mixed number – a number that can be represented by a whole number and a fraction. (número mixto)
- Numerator – The number above the bar in a fraction. It shows the number of equal parts. (numerador)
- Simplify a fraction – To divide the numerator and the denominator of a fraction by the same number to make an equivalent fraction made from fewer but larger unit fractions. (simplificar una fracción)
- Tenth – A unit fraction representing one of ten equal parts of a whole, written as 0.1 or 1/10. (décimo)
- Unit fraction – a fraction whose numerator is 1. It shows one equal part of a whole. (fracción unitaria)
Thank you again for all of your support of student’s math learning at home and at school. We’ve come a long way already this year, and still have so much more to learn!