Nilsen Classroom is now a 4th grade two-way immersion class at Bridgeport Elementary in Tualatin, OR. I believe that teaching is a privilege and a calling, one that I attend to with great care and preparation. If you are a parent of one of my students for the 2017-2018 school year, welcome to the family.
Head to Updates under the Explore menu tab to find:
- “Foto” Friday – a weekly foto that I’ll post every Friday for a quick glimpse into what Nilsen Classroom has been up to during the week.
- Specials Spotlight – a monthly video update for the three specials my 4th graders attend this year: PE, STEM, and Music
- Art Project Galleries – because who doesn’t love seeing incredible student art work?
- Content Highlights – information when we start new units as well as (hopefully) helpful information for parents.
- Student Writing – I want my students to write to actually be read, and not just by me for a grade. So I hope to get students using our 1:1 iPads and get some writing published for various audiences.
- Teacher Reflections – I’m always trying to be a better teacher and a life long learner myself. Occasionally I’ll share parts of my journey as an educator.
- And more!
Meet Mrs. Nilsen
I am originally from Thompsonville, Illinois and I studied Elementary Education at Graceland University in Lamoni, Iowa. I have a current teaching license in both Oregon and Iowa. Before coming to Bridgeport, I trained teachers in Nicaragua serving for the US Peace Corps. My time in Nicaragua taught me the importance of community and relationships as well as transformed me into a bilingual member of society. Before Peace Corps, I taught middle school science and language arts in Molalla, worked at one of Oregon’s Outdoor School programs close to Salem, and counseled and directed numerous youth camps every summer all over the country. Each of these unique educational contexts shaped who I am and how I approach teaching and learning. Still want to know more? Click here.
This year, I plan to use a few main forms of communication: phone/in-person conferences, this classroom website, email, and social media.
- Parents, I hope that we are able to chat multiple times throughout the year about your child, in addition to the built in Parent-Teacher Conference Days. From 2:45-6:00pm each week day, I am available to meet with you, either in person or over the phone. So that I can give you my undivided attention, please schedule a meeting with me.
- This website will be my main way of updating the entire Bridgeport community and beyond of what is going on my classroom. Visit frequently, comment often, and share away!
- My school email is an excellent way to contact me as I check my email multiple times daily through the week, and at least once on the weekends. You can also send me a message via this website.
- Are you on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp? Nilsen Classroom is, too! Connect and keep up to date in the way that’s easiest for you.
Bridgeport Parent Involvement
Bridgeport is a school that thrives when every member of the community is contributing in their own way. Thank you, already and in advance, for all the hard work you put in for your students and for this school. I encourage you to continue participating in our community in any way you can. If your time permits, you are always welcome to volunteer in our 4th TWI classroom (after you have completed the district background check, of course).
If you have any questions or concerns throughout the year, I hope you can feel comfortable and confident in contacting me. Your concerns are of great importance to me. I look forward to getting to know you and working with your student over the next few months.