Nilsen Classroom is a two-way immersion class at Bridgeport Elementary in Tualatin, OR. I believe that teaching is a privilege and a calling, one that I attend to with great care and preparation. If you are a parent of one of my students for the 2019-2020 school year, welcome to the family.
Head to Updates under the Explore menu tab to find:
- “Foto” Friday – a weekly foto that I’ll post every Friday for a quick glimpse into what Nilsen Classroom has been up to during the week.
- Specials Spotlight – a monthly video update for the three specials my 5th graders attend this year: PE, STEM, and Music
- Art Project Galleries – because who doesn’t love seeing incredible student art work?
- Content Highlights – information when we start new units as well as (hopefully) helpful information for parents.
- Student Writing – I want my students to write to actually be read, and not just by me for a grade. So I hope to get students using our 1:1 iPads and get some writing published for various audiences.
- Teacher Reflections – I’m always trying to be a better teacher and a life long learner myself. Occasionally I’ll share parts of my journey as an educator.
- And more!
Remind will be my main form of communication this year, although I will also check email, my school phone, and use this classroom website.
- Remind – sign up today! I’m using Remind to help keep you informed about important news and updates. Remind is a free service that allows you to get messages directly on your phone. Joining my class on Remind is easy. You can choose whether you prefer text messages or smartphone notifications.
Signing up for text messages: Text my class code @nilseneng to the phone number 81010. Reply to the text messages from the Remind team.
Signing up for smartphone notifications: Download the Remind app on your Android or iOS device. Click here for a link to the apps: rmd.me/a. Open the app and create an account (or log in if you already have one). Tap the + by classes joined and enter my class code @nilseneng
- Parents, I hope that we are able to chat multiple times throughout the year about your child, in addition to the built in Parent-Teacher Conference Days. So that I can give you my undivided attention, please schedule a meeting with me.
- This website will be my main way of updating the entire Bridgeport community and beyond of what is going on my classroom. Visit frequently, comment often, and share away!
- My school email is an excellent way to contact me as I check my email multiple times daily through the week, and at least once on the weekends. You can also send me a message via this website.
- Are you on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp? Nilsen Classroom is, too! Connect and keep up to date in the way that’s easiest for you.
Bridgeport Parent Involvement
Bridgeport is a school that thrives when every member of the community is contributing in their own way. Thank you, already and in advance, for all the hard work you put in for your students and for this school. I encourage you to continue participating in our community in any way you can. If your time permits, you are always welcome to volunteer in our 5th TWI classroom (after you have completed the district background check, of course).
If you have any questions or concerns throughout the year, I hope you can feel comfortable and confident in contacting me. Your concerns are of great importance to me. I look forward to getting to know you and working with your student over the next few months.
Per the Bridgeport Homework Policy, fifth graders can have 45-60 minutes of homework each night. I strive to use less of that time to allow for families to participate in enrichment activities such as sports and free play.
I expect students to read for 20 minutes every night. Students will receive a math packet on Mondays of a few pages: either review, current work, or a challenge packet depending on how they are doing in class. Students may have different work from their peers. I reserve the other minutes of homework for in-class work that is not completed – I will communicate this as needed with individual parents.
This year, Bridgeport is a school full of PAX Leaders K-5 promoting peace, productivity, health, and happiness for everyone. Refocuses are still our in-class system for misbehavior. Families will be notified after 2 refocuses in one week. After a third refocus, students will work with the school counselor to develop an individualized plan for reviewing/practicing school expectations.